In 2009, the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, which began creating incentives for health care providers to offer digital health records, indicated the coming future of health care – one that will increasingly rely on IT to improve efficiency and quality of care.Through a digital healthcare environment, we find a way to bring computer technology, information science, and health care all together into a symbiotic relationship that helps patients and makes life easier for the health care providers who serve them
Like any coming wave, it can pay large dividends to get on before it mounts and gets moving. If you’re running a health care organization and want to know more about how healthcare IT can improve your operations, here are some ways more structured IT can help.
8 Ways A Digital Healthcare Environment Can Improve the Efficiency and Quality of Care
- Better Storage Capabilities: An improved healthcare IT plan can greatly increase an organization’s storage capacity. Medical records become less of a nuisance to store for longer periods of time, and through various available computing systems become easier and faster to retrieve as needed. This also means less paperwork and saved time for healthcare professionals.
- Better Communication Among Staff: IT solutions implemented in-house can provide professionals better ways to communicate in real-time.
- Security & Privacy: With health information, there is always a great concern for privacy, especially in this volatile digital age, where identity thieves and other information crooks are constantly developing new ways to compromise the computer systems you already use. There’s no holding them off by ignoring the issue. The answer is beefed up security.
- Protect Patients from Mistakes: The bane of this industry is when medical errors make a patient’s experience less comfortable or even puts them in danger, and these incidents can also cause lawsuits that take away from the ability to serve other patients in the future. Structured Healthcare IT can help prevent errors, promote accuracy, and sustain procedural correctness at every level of the organization.
- Increased Efficiency: Computer systems streamline the many different medical care processes, allowing for a more productive treatment experience. Learn how IT can reduce the instance of unnecessarily repeated tests and automate processes that used to be manual.
- Patient Access to Information: Along with allowing healthcare pros do their job better, IT solutions also open up doors for providing better information to patients about their condition or the procedures they will undergo. Patients can get more access to their own medical records, personalized healthcare information, and opportunities to take a more hands-on role in their own care.
- Reach Out Through the Web: What about the ability for information technology to reach out? Through social media and the worldwide web, healthcare providers can communicate with patients and possible future patients to promote healthier habits and lifestyle choices. There is a great need for this, as more and more citizens are seeking their health information online, often from unreliable sources. Qualified healthcare professionals can tap into this demand by providing better information and simultaneously grow their practices through internet traffic.
- Reduce the Costs: As you can imagine, increased efficiency at any level often results in reduced costs, and these costs can help lower the bills for patients who need quality healthcare on a budget.
Seeking the Balanced Solutions
Of course, information technology is not a perfect answer. Healthcare is about providing much-needed services for humans, and any healthcare IT plan needs to keep the human experience in mind. Some people worry that focusing too much on IT can create an impersonal process.
The best managed IT teams are aware of the issues and work closely with the organization to develop a balanced system that doesn’t alienate patients.To learn more about solutions for your healthcare business, schedule a free IT analysis with one of our professionals today by clicking the link below.