A successful CPA firm had delayed replacing their aged hardware and was planning to virtualize their environment after the busy tax season. They experienced a failed hard drive in their RAID array, as well as bad tech support through the vendor, that ultimately made the data un-recoverable. To make matters worse, their backup solution was not being verified. It turned out that the last good backup was a year old. The firm had decided not to have their network managed due to the perceived “high cost”.
Review real case studies of how Information Technology Group has created successful results.
CPA Firm Recovers from Disaster
- ITG’s immediate survival plan was to build the virtual environment being planned for the future right away. Virtualization allowed fast recovery. In fact, the entire environment was running on temporary hardware in less than 12 hours.
- The new image-based backup system that ITG installed allows immediate recovery from malware, viruses, or other mishaps. The entire virtual PC is one file that is easily restored.
- The client now continues their removable hard drive backup process as well as adding a replicated copy of the backup system and data offsite.
- ITG now manages their network, 24/7/365.
- Disaster recovery, if ever needed again, will now be fast, easy and inexpensive.
- ITG managing their network allows proactive remediation of issues before they become disasters.
- Client is happy and can sleep at night knowing their network and data are safe.
- The “high cost” of managing their network now seems reasonable when compared with the cost of the recovery at over $100,000.
Large Medical Practice Modernizes their IT Physical Plant
A large, successful medical practice’s physical network grew over time with no design or long term plan in place. They had ad hock wiring closets linked with no redundancy, as well as having their server in an actual closet with no climate control. PC’s were getting old and needing to be replaced constantly. Users were complaining about slow performance that impacted their daily work.
- ITG designed and implemented a fully virtualized server and desktop infrastructure with a proper server room.
- ITG cleaned up the network wiring situation by cabling all locations back to a single closet.
- ITG installed stacked switches with redundant connections back to the servers.
- Client reports a noticeable improvement in speed and reliability for their EMR and other business management systems.
- Users report better performance for their daily tasks.
- Client can rest easy knowing their network is stable and dependable.
Aerospace Manufacturer Modernizes their IT Infrastructure
Client was running an aged, single SBS server with Exchange, file data, and a critical business application. Space on the server was low and not expandable. PC’s were getting old and needing to be replaced constantly. Without an update to their infrastructure they would very likely be unable to work within a few months due to space constraints on their server. Additionally, due to the sensitive nature of some of their projects with military and aerospace customers, the client wanted to be assured that complete security was being maintained on their network.
- ITG installed a SAN array to provide centralized, expandable storage.
- ITG designed and implemented clustered, virtual servers to provide a fault tolerant, expandable virtual infrastructure to host virtual servers and desktops.
- ITG created dedicated virtual servers to isolate applications.
- ITG deployed virtual desktops for users, eliminating the need to replace PC hardware.
- ITG deployed an Employee Monitoring system that records all activity on the system.
- Client can now grow without the danger of running out of storage space.
- By isolating the poorly written, critical business application on its own server, other user functions are no longer impacted by that application’s performance issues.
- Client now has the assurance that all employee activity is recorded and can be researched and reported, if there is a problem.